University of South Carolina SELC lacrosse

SELC Power Rankings- Dawgs Need No Mustard, Coastal New #1

6 - Published April 19, 2012 by in Uncategorized

SELC D1 Power Rankings:

This week sees yet another change at the top of the SELC D1 Power Rankings, and GEORGIA is top Dawg!  Georgia earned a decisive victory over in-division rival Georgia Tech (which dropped 5 places to #9) to complete an undefeated Southwest Division Championship.

I did not see the Virginia Tech loss to West Virginia coming at all!  Virginia Tech moves to #2 and the Mountaineers jump 5 places to #12. That victory by West Virginia creates complete CHAOS in the Northwest division. Add to this the Tennessee (moved up 4 places to #8) 1 goal victory over Kentucky (dropped 1 spot to #11) and you have “Double CHAOS?!?!”

Streaking Florida  (up 2 places to #6) defeated UCF (down 3 places to #10) and now the battle of the Gators and Seminoles decides the Southeast division title. By all indications, the Gators are peaking at the right time.

SELC D2 Power Rankings:

Florida Gulf Coast’s
(moves to #4) 13-9 victory over Palm Beach Atlantic (down to #5) vaulted Coastal Carolina in to this week’s #1 SELC D2 Power Ranking spot! Coastal Carolina took care of their own “Bizness” by defeating SELC D1 East Carolina. Coastal Carolina is as good as any  team in the SELC D2, very talented in all phases of the game and doesn’t back down from a challenge.

ELON moved up a slot to #6 with 12-11 win over Liberty, who moved down 2 slots to #7. I was in Elon, NC for the ELON – Liberty game. ELON is a totally different team now, than when I saw the Phoenix a few weeks ago when they lost to Coastal CarolinaELON will be quite a difficult “out” in the SELC Tourney for any team. Liberty was just one play away from a victory.

Let’s talk SCAD. I moved SCAD up 2 slots to #2. I even surprised myself with that move! SCAD was destroyed by Palm Beach Atlantic a few weeks back. In my eyes SCAD came back to full recovery with that non-conference win over defending MCLA CHAMPION and highly ranked Davenport. But SCAD did not take care of business in their own division and as I understand it, loses out in tie-breakers and is OUT of the SELC Tourney!

There is “no” cruising through your SELC division schedule any more. It’s BIZARRO LAND, as my #2 team in the SELC doesn’t make SELC CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNEY! But that’s how I see it right now.

The Top 7! I have seen Coastal CarolinaELON (twice) and Liberty. In my opinion any of the SELC D2 Power Ranked 1 through 7 teams are capable of winning the SELC D2 Championship. This year’s SELC CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNEY  will be “ultra” competitive. Last year we saw 4 “Blow-outs” in the tourney. That ain’t happening this year.

The playoffs are coming, and everything will be settled soon enough!  It’s a great year of college lacrosse in the SELC, both at the D1 and D2 levels, and who ends up as the true champion is still up in the air!

6 Responses to SELC Power Rankings- Dawgs Need No Mustard, Coastal New #1

1. TyWebb1979 August 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Skimmed through this because I am on the run, but this is one the most informative pieces you guys have posted on here! Great Job, I cant wait to read a little deeper and figure out how to cut my own leathers! Thanks Brian

2. Brian Kimmell August 14, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I was shocked the strip cutter isn’t modernized as well! There’s a machine(also old) that looks like a pasta cutter but it doesn’t really save any labor. To use a radial arm/meat slicer, you would need a jig set for the width of strip you want and slowly feed the leather sheet through. I’m not sure I need to add another element of danger to what I’m doing but I like how you’re thinking! I was told to use cowhide because of it’s thickness(weight in ounces) but any leather 8-10oz should be fine. They also have different grades of leather(normally depending on the part of the cow it came from) and different ways of tanning it to get different feels/qualities. It is absolutely worth experimenting with other leathers to see what works best, that’s how I stumbled on the wider and thicker varieties. I want to try some Bison leather next.

3. bg205 August 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

Thanks for the reply :) You could adapt a jig for cutting something like sheets of plywood or other board to set widths, if you did it on a table saw with a smooth blade (like a pizza wheel or a deli slicer, smooth blade to slice rather than gouge through the cut) or a bandsaw (again with a smooth band, maybe a butchers style blade?) that might be a bit safer than the slicer/arm saw (my brain is wandering round my dads woodshop thinking about how to adapt the toys in there). I’m betting the blades/bands would have to be custom made though (and expensive as a result). Bison leather sounds like an awesome idea, maybe (if they do it) some deer hide would a way to take the pocket back into the tradition of the sport, as I imagine (my knowledge of that area of history is lacking) that’s what Native Americans would possibly have used? if its low weight maybe use it as crosslace instead?

4. Brian Kimmell August 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm #

Deer hide was traditionally used for leathers and crosslace because it is a thinner hide and because it was widely available. I’m thinking about the meat slicer idea and I like it, I’m just not sure it would save any time(I get into a good focus with my strip cutter and it doesn’t take too long at all to cut a lot of strips) or keep all of my fingers in place. You would have to push the leather sheet against the meat slicer to keep the pressure even(can’t use the handy meat holder/wedge thing to lock everything in place) and I’m not sure I like the idea of flexible leather that I’m pushing toward the cutting area being the only thing between me and a spinning blade of death. I’ve been a cook/kitchen manager and I’ve seen some horrible injuries from slight accidents! Maybe someone with experience on a laser cutter could chime in, although I could see that burning the leather…..

5. bg205 August 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

I thought deer hide would have been :) thanks for the info. I think that a band saw with a jig would give you a cleaner/more reproducible cut, the meat slicer leaves 1 edge of the leather unsupported so you might not get a clean cut, also as you say, you are moving your hand towards blade that you might not be able to see with nothing but a flexible piece of leather between you and the blade. The band saw with the right set up you could have a jig that will have a guard between your hand and the blade, if you put the blade guard right down almost to the thickness of the leather then there would be almost no chance of catching a finger in it unless you were trying to. whilst I have no experience with laser cutters I do know that a laser would cut by burning away the material, so It would definitely burn the leather. It’d be a nice clean cut though :) I agree with you that a mechanised solution might not save you any time though as you are experienced with using the strip cutter, a novice strip cutter however might get a bigger benefit from it. How does the traditional one work anyway? Is it a pair of sharp discs or a V shape blade that does the cutting?

6. bg205 August 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

No problem :) maybe try getting in touch with a local woodworking group to try out a bandsaw? (there’s bound to be one) Ummm I haven’t played around in Dad’s woodshop for almost a decade so this is entirely from memory: there’s a kind of guide/jig that is (my dad does anyway) used for cutting thin/soft boards (like thin hardboard or plasterboard or preping bits for inlays) that looks like a long thin ‘U’, where the arms of the U sit round either side of the blade and the base of the U sits behind it. There is 1 ‘U’ above and below the material you want to cut and you basically clamp the material between the arms of the 2 U’s and just push gently towards the blade, it keeps whatever you are cutting clamped throughout the cut. The one I’ve seen my dad using had small handles and a safety guard on the inside of each arm to make it safer and really easy to use (having said all that my grandad might have made it…).  I’ll ask my Dad what its called and get back to you (I’ll probably email your website if that’s ok?). Obviously this would detract somewhat from getting back to the roots of the game at least in terms of processing the hide but, like you say, if demand gets high enough…