Best Job in the MCLA: Available?

11 - Published June 10, 2011 by in Commentary

So right this very second, depending on your perspective, the very best coaching job in the MCLA may be open to application.

The head coach position at the University of California – Santa Barbara has been posted on LaxPower.  Check out the listing here, and below with some select highlights:

Available: September 1, 2011.  Deadline: June 24, 2011.

Position Description: UC Santa Barbara is a MCLA program dating back to 1970. There have been multiple league and national titles, which have created a strong tradition of success over the years. We are currently in search of a head coach. The fall season runs from October-November. The regular season starts in January and runs through May.
To apply, please send a resume along with three letters of recommendations.  Salary: $35,000-40,000 (no benefits).  Appointment: Full-Time, 12 months.

Contact for application and information: Taggart Malone, UCSB Sport Club Director, UCSB Recreation Center, Rm # 1110, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-3025.  Phone: (805) 893-3908  Fax: (805) 893-7054  E-mail:

Team/school/org. site:

Listing Posted: 2011-06-07

Well, its a nice town, a nice team, it’s got …. wait, what?!

That job pays HOW much?

OK, suddenly that job just went from awesome, to … well awesomer.  $35,000-$40,000?  To live in Santa Barbara and coach lacrosse?

How much would they pay an equipment manager?

In all seriousness, that job has got to be one of the best in the MCLA given the program’s location, history, school support, alumni support, and access to talent.

So that got me thinking,

What IS the best job in the MCLA?

Vote below in the comments.  And provide reasoning.

I’ve got a few ideas, after hearing your comments I’ll compile a master list and we can all debate the best (and worst?) coaching jobs in the MCLA.

Have at it!

, , , , ,

11 Responses to Best Job in the MCLA: Available?

1. Chris wellner June 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

SB sucks

2. Wakkalaka June 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

35k-40k is not alot of money

• Adam Edg June 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I’d wager that it is A LOT more than nearly every other MCLA club is paying…
      Hell, it’s a livable wage.  Then again 35k won’t go as far in Cali as it would in the Midwest, but it’s not exactly minimum wage either.

• Garrett Wragg June 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

I am currently making $40,000 in my salary job, with my wife also working, and we are living in Ventura, about 45 mins from UCSB’s campus, so it is workable, but not rolling in the benji’s

• Blake June 11, 2011 at 9:16 am #

I’m going in to my fourth year teaching in Idaho, have a master’s degree, and am constantly earning additional graduate level credits.  It took me 6 years of college and graduate work to get all of the necessary credentials.  Despite all of that, given the current salary structure, it will take me at least 6 more years until I sniff 40K (and that’s if the State revokes the freeze on movement along the ladder).

Getting paid 35-40K to coach club ball? Yeah…that’s a lot of money.

3. Anonymous June 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

I coach in the MCLA (Stanford) and I can tell you that based on what salary ranges I’ve heard over the years, 35-40k is top 10% money – for the MCLA.  Remember most coaches are paid out of their lacrosse “club” budget, not by the sports club federation / office itself.

However, the real question is, could you do this AND have a day job?  Most all the coaches I know have two jobs, one of which is coaching.  I’d take an extra 35-40k any day, but the time commitment of a HC is huge.  Our HC doesn’t get nearly the salary of this UCSB job and *still* puts in as much time as most HCs.

Side note: I’ve also noticed that several high school and college lax coaches have wives who make a lot more than them, thus rendering their income into a supplemental role.  Won’t name any names, but let’s just say there are some top 10 MCLA coaches whose families don’t depend on their salary.

• Will Patton June 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

It has to be top 10%, and I’d say top 3 or 4 to be certain.  It’s a sign that the UC Santa Barbara club sports department is willing to invest in the program, which has to be exciting for players and alumni.

I know there were some concerns voiced on the forums that the current coach may be left in the lurch on this.  However, this salary will drive quality applicants and if there are better coaches to fill the role, 35-40k will make sure UCSB’s team is in good hands.

• Adam Edg June 11, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Well said.  As I said before, it may not be D1 money, but it is much better than nearly every other MCLA coach receives.  From what I’ve been told by players and alumni from Iowa State & Iowa, the coaches don’t get paid and are usually grad students.  Every so often, an alum will want to take over the program but he knows he has to find a job that will provide enough income and flexibility to do so.
      I will say that if ISU offered $35-40k for a MCLA head coaching position, I’d be after that in a heart beat.  That is about the real average office salary in Central Iowa (our cost of living is a little less than the coasts…).

• Anonymous June 17, 2011 at 9:21 am #

You can live off of $35-40k easily. No need for a second job. ESPECIALLY if you have a spouse with income, or a roommate to split rent and bills with.

Sure, thats on the lower end of pay in the grand scheme of life, but your quality of life would be awesome. Coaching Club lacrosse (albeit virtual varsity) at UCSB? You’re surrounded by lacrosse…and smokeshows all day.

4. Bhsvide June 11, 2011 at 9:50 am #

This is the first quantitative discussion on MCLA coaching salaries that I’ve seen. For the most part it must be “for the love of the game.”

5. SDLax4 June 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

Know a few players @ UCSB and it looks like they’re going to try and hire a semi-big name or stick with Jaffe, who is still being held in high consideration according to my sources…this must be exciting for their program.